Welcome to MU Australia (part of the worldwide Mother’s Union) in the Diocese of Willochra
Rev’d Canon Libbie Crossman, Diocese of Brisbane, Qld.
Diocese of Willochra
President: Lynette Pole
Treasurer: Elizabeth Harris
Diocesan Chaplain: The Rev’d Wendy Cooper
AIMS AND OBJECTS OF THE MOTHERS’ UNION
- To uphold Christ’s teaching on the nature of marriage and to promote its wider understanding.
- To encourage parents to bring up their children in the faith and life of the Church.
- To maintain a worldwide fellowship of Christians united in prayer, worship and service.
- To promote conditions in society favourable to stable family life and the protection of children.
- To help those whose family life has met with adversity.
MU Australia is part of the world-wide organisation, The Mothers’ Union, which was founded by Mary Sumner in 1876. Mary was inspired by a great vision concerning Christian responsibilities of motherhood. She gathered together young women from the parish for weekly classes, where many of the people were unaware of the significance of baptism or the teaching of the Christian Faith.
It was not long before branches of Mothers’ Union spread throughout England and then overseas. Today there are four million members in 81 countries ministering in parishes, managing literacy programmes, organising HIV/AIDS programmes, playgroups, and meeting community needs. MU Australia members are involved in many exciting and innovative activities which seek to fulfil our vision.
MU and you
Membership is available to anyone who is baptised and who upholds the aims and objects. You may also participate in the activities without having to become an admitted member of the worldwide Mothers’ Union. Associated groups include Caritas, Lone Members and Anna Groups. All welcomed members/participants pay an annual contribution which includes a subscription to Mia Mia, the magazine of MU Australia and Families worldwide, an international Prayer Diary.